Monday, June 25, 2007

"Diabetes go away!"

"Wishing"

There comes a time in life when you realize that your child "gets it". Today was that day.

Chase has a flare for the dramatics at times, hence one of his many nicknames, "Drama King". I figured today was one of those days because he scraped his leg getting into his car seat. I told him that it couldn't have hurt that bad to create such a fuss and that maybe we should test his blood to see if that was part of the reason for the dramatics. It wasn't. It went much deeper than dramatics and a blood sugar of 169 (a good number).

As I pulled out his glucometer he sobbed, "I have diabetes. I don't like diabetes. Diabetes go away." Ten hours later, that moment still haunts me. All I could do was run my fingers through his beautiful blond hair and tell him I'd take it from him if I could.

We proceeded on with our planned trip to the museum. On the way in, we stopped at the outside fountain to throw some coins into the wishing well. You can guess what we both wished for.

No comments: