Wednesday, December 20, 2006

You only turn 100 once

I've been busy lately creating a video CD for my grandpa Art's 100th birthday that will take place in Devils Lake in April. I've been scanning photos, adding sound, and editing it until it is perfect (a sign of a true Virgo - good thing I've got another 3 and 1/2 months to obsess about it). It's been fun. At work I don't get to tap into that creative side unless you call creating formulas in Excel to compute financial investment gains or losses creative.

My grandpa is one of the calmest people I know. That may be why he will soon be celebrating his 100th. He lives alone in his own apartment, cooks and shops for himself, and still drives his little red mini van. He also writes some of the best letters I've ever received. One that I have saved in Chase's baby book reads, "Chase seems tractors interest him. He is such an enjoyable little fellow - so fun to see them grow up. See change each time when one meets." A keeper.

I've enjoyed seeing a playful side of my grandpa that I didn't know existed. Below he is being chased up a pole by his younger sister circa 1920's. And "being difficult" as written on the back of the cake photo circa 1950's.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is really nice Susan, I think your Grandpa is one of the calmest people I know too, but he also has a great sense of humor. I have not known him well over the years, but known to speak to since I was in school. Grandma Irene was a sweetie too. Merry Xmas to you. Hermoine Jorgenson