Thursday, September 14, 2006

This is my land...


Chase and I are in Devils Lake this week. Gary has a conference in Grand Forks so I decided that what I wanted the most for my birthday was to be dropped off at "home". The pace is a little slower here and Chase gets what he's wanted for months - to go for a tractor ride with Boppa.



I've tried bribing Chase with offers such as, "If you poop in the potty we will go see Boppa." To which Gary's son replies, "Go Devils Lake, poop in Grandma's potty." It's going to be a long journey to being free of Pampers.

This is my favorite time of the year to drive to Devils Lake. The farmers finishing up out in the fields, the trees are starting to turn colors, and the air is usually cooler. Once we arrive in about the Harvey area I really start to feel like I'm home. It also gets me thinking about my grandpa Wally.

Grandpa Wally would look out on his fields while driving from Leeds to Devils Lake and sing, "This is my land, this is my land." This was while he was either smoking a cigar or cigarette. He also swore quite a bit and I have some pretty interesting songs/poems that I learned from him as well. He was also a charmer and I don't think there is a day that goes by that I don't think about him. His first great-grandchild was born about 4 months after he died and I often wonder what he'd think of Chase and the rest of the crew. I can't wait to tell Chase more about him.

I'm having trouble posting pictures so I'll add some when I get back. I also need to give Grandma a break from a little boy that is more than likely wearing her down.

No comments: