Wednesday, April 25, 2007

10 Years After the Flood

It is hard to believe, but the historic Grand Forks flood of 1997 was 10 years ago. I remember watching the levees break on national news just like it was yesterday. It seemed so surreal at the time.

Fresh out of college, I began working for FEMA in May of 1997. It was a temporary position in the Public Assistance area working to repair city and county infrastructure, private not-for-profit agencies, and schools. Not only did it give me valuable work experience, it gave me something to give back to the community of Grand Forks and other ND communities affected by the flood.

My temporary position lasted for 3 1/2 years until I was offered a position with the state's Division of Emergency Management. That is where I met Gary, and well, the rest is history.

I don't get to Grand Forks very often anymore. They have done an amazing job rebuilding after the flood. Gotta love that North Dakota spirit.

No comments: