Thursday, August 17, 2006

Old friends are new again

August 1993






July 2006







About a year ago I reconnected with Laura, a good friend of mine from high school.

We had lost touch for nearly 10 years. Luckily, I was able to use my Nancy Drew skills and I obtained her email address. Ever since then we have been in touch by email and we even got see one another over the 4th of July. She is now living in California with her husband and two children.

I'm blogging about Laura for two reason. This first is because I was watching a show one day (okay, it was Oprah, I admit it) and she made the comment that there is no such thing as a coincidence. I believe that when it comes to having reconnected with Laura. This is because Laura's little boy, Caleb (3), was diagnosed with autism shortly before we started emailing one another. A few months later, Chase was diagnosed with diabetes. Having Laura to "talk" to about our boys has been a blessing.

The second reason for this blog is because last night I received an email from her telling me that instead of trading in her Geo Prizm on a new vehicle, she and her husband decided to donate it to an organization that helps fund finding a cure for diabetes. I was so touched. And, check this out, I even have photos of Laura and me with that exact car...these pictures are of the two of us 12 years ago right after she bought the car!



So, Laura, if you're reading this, THANK YOU again (and I hope you don't mind me posting these old photos)! I think about you and Caleb all the time and I hope and pray for a cure for autism very, very soon.

No comments: