Thursday, February 19, 2015

Herding Cats

It came across in my news feed - the story of a beautiful little girl fighting for her life.  Fighting for her life because of type 1.  It's all too common to miss the symptoms of type 1 especially during cold and flu season. 

Kycie's story: 
 http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fundraiser/kisses-for-kycie/300561
 https://www.facebook.com/kissesforkycie?fref=ts
 
"On January 25th, sweet Kycie started complaining of a headache. On Monday she said her tummy hurt and a little later she threw up. Her mom and dad figured she was coming down with the flu. She slept all day Monday. She was giving her sprite and water to help her tummy. She did not want any food. Tuesday there was no change, and her brothers started to complain of stomach aches and sore throats. Jamie took Daxton and Kycie to the doctor on Wednesday. They were given antibiotics for strep throat. By Thursday night, she was worse. On Friday they went to the doctor and went to the ER at 1:00pm. By 5:00pm she was life flighted to Primary Children's Hospital with blood sugar of 1148. Her parents had no idea that sweet little Kycie had diabetes!

En route to the hospital she had a seizure and another one right when they got to the hospital. She has been unresponsive ever since. At this point her blood sugars are under control. After reviewing her MRI the doctors said that she has extensive damage to the brain. The brain had herniated into the brain stem.They said if she survives to prepare themselves for her to be severely handicapped. They will do another MRI on Tuesday and at that point with decide if they should consider taking her off the breathing machines."

Reading her story I think of how just one more day could have changed our story.  Reading her story I think about all the people over the years who have told me to feel fortunate that it's "just diabetes". 

Nine years ago I brought Chase in for his two year well check.  At the time, he was asking for water constantly.  Constantly.  I mentioned it to his doctor who told me it could be one of two things - some strange disease that causes kids to drink any fluids they can get their hands on or type 1 diabetes.  I shared with her that my dad was type 1 and (I'll never forget this moment) she hesitated.  She hesitated then said, "Well, we will see you in a year."  You see, for two years, her mantra had always been, "This will pass."  I was a first time mother who worried too much.

Two weeks later, my son was in for the fight of his life.

It was November and he, too, exhibited signs of the flu but we knew something was not right.  At the advice of a day care mom who was a  nurse, we took him to Public Health.  A simple blood test confirmed our fears.  The nurse wrote down the name of a pediatrician she recommended at the "other clinic" and handed it to me as we walked out the door.  I saw my son fading in front of me.  I can still hear myself begging him to stay with me on the drive to the clinic.  "Stay with me, Buddy.  Please stay with me!"

For four days we watched our buddy slowly come back to us. Kycie's recovery is going to take much longer, but she has a community of type 1 families pulling for her.  Her story has taught others about the seriousness of this disease.

It is not "just" diabetes.  It is not "just" watching what you eat, counting carbs, finger pokes, and midnight sugar checks.  Diabetes is Kycie's story. 

I share our story because diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) signs and symptoms often develop quickly, sometimes within 24 hours. For some, these signs and symptoms may be the first indication of having diabetes. Symptoms of type 1 are:
  • Excessive thirst
  • Frequent urination
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Abdominal pain
  • Weakness or fatigue
  • Shortness of breath
  • Fruity-scented breath
Chase is now 11 and thriving, but we never take for granted that DKA is still a threat.  Keeping blood sugars in the optimal range is like herding cats.  Too high and you risk DKA, too low and you risk hypoglycemia.  It's a tightrope he walks daily. 

There are many days when I think I should stop telling our story and just live with the uncontrollable cats in our lives.  About the time I want to give up, I read that the rate of type 1 among children under age 14 is estimated to increase by three percent annually worldwide.  And I then read Kycie's story.  If our stories bring awareness to type 1 symptoms and complications, then our voices should not be silenced. 



My buddy on D day 2004.

1 comment:

Gwen said...

I remember being so pissed with your doctor! A simple blood test could have caught it before he was so out of it.

That was the first time you had to be a diabetes advocate and stand up to an "authority" to get proper treatment for your kid.

Also, is the background of your blog an homage to 10,000+ finger and heel pokes?