Thursday, May 22, 2014

Chapter 2

One more day left of school.  Just one more day.  I'm ready to close the book on this school year.

It started out beautifully.  We received a call BEFORE school started to get Chase's 504 plan in place - the first time in 4 years that happened.  I was thrilled.  We had a plan in place and were ready to rock another school year.  Then, in February, The Call came.

Since The Call, I've cried, I've sworn way too much, and I've called, emailed and talked to anyone who would listen.  I've made friends and I'm pretty sure I've made some enemies, too.  I've wondered why some parents have taken no action to help the cause.  I've wondered how a school district could implement a policy that puts my child's life at risk.  And I've started taking Zoloft.

It's hard to admit I can't handle this anymore.  I'm a North Dakota girl.  We suck it up, buttercup, and move on.  We don't need help.  After eight years of being strong and a battle like I've never seen, I needed to settle my mind.

Best decision I've ever made.

I'm able to look at diabetes in a new light.  I've had constant support from some people.  I've had unexpected support from others.  And, unfortunately, some friends and family have been MIA.  At the end of the day, though, all Chase has is Mom and Dad.

This morning I read through some of the many papers Chase brought home from school.  Some made me giggle - like his position paper on why kids should have iPhones (good one, Chase) and how kids shouldn't play video games. 

Then there was the one he started and didn't finish.  "On November 29th, 2005, a threat entered my life."  A part of me wanted to know what else he had to say.  Another part of me wanted to finish it for him.

"On November 29th, 2005, a threat entered my life.  My mom and dad have been fighting ever since to keep me safe, though."

I can't close the book on diabetes no matter how hard I've tried.  What I can do is help Chase write his story.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Suck it up doesn't mean go it alone. You are a strong woman and an awesome mother!